Monday, February 4, 2013

Adventures in Cooking

My family is a vegan family, and after I gave birth, it was time to re-commit to the vegan diet.  While I was pregnant, it went a little by the wayside because of my cravings and also how I was supposed to eat so much protein.  It is totally possible to eat tons of protein on a vegan diet but it takes a bit of effort, planning, and cooking.  My energy did not always extend into cooking while pregnant and my husband doesn't cook, so convenience was king.

That is neither here nor there, so what I'm trying to say is that this week, since we are fully recommitted, I wanted to try out some recipes we've never had before.  I have several cookbooks and every week I try to get all my dinners out of one so I can explore them better and not just stick with my old favorites.  Pair that with the fact that I'm nursing an 8 week old baby, and it's even more motivation to expand my palate (no picky eaters in the future hopefully).

This week's dinners come out of The Veganomicon by Terry Hope Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz!  Here's what I'm cooking:

Monday: Grilled Yuca Tortillas. Served with guacamole, salsa, and tortilla chips.

Tuesday: Spinach Linguine with Pesto and Artichokes.  Served with homemade potato rolls and salad.

Wednesday: Potato and Kale Enchiladas

Thursday:  Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup.  Served with homemade bread and salad.

That's all I usually plan.  Friday I'll cook or we'll get takeout--depends on the munchkin.  We already ate the yuca tortillas!  They were super tasty, with yellow bell pepper, corn, mushrooms, and garlic added in, along with lime juice.  I left out the jalepeno it called for though, husband isn't a big fan of spicy.  Anyway, what does your menu planning for the week consist of?  What are you cooking?


No comments:

Post a Comment